he salad was first created between 1893 and 1896 by Oscar Tschirky, who was the Waldorf’s maître d’hôtel at the Waldorf Hotel in New York City.
A Waldorf salad is a salad traditionally made of fresh apples, celery and walnuts, dressed in mayonnaise, and usually served on a bed of lettuce as an appetizer or a light meal.
Preparation time 25 minutes
INGREDIENTS .. 4 pers
- 500 g celeriac into matchstick thin strips
- 100 ml plain yogurt
- 4 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 apple into matchstick thin strips
- 1 small head leaf lettuce, in loose sheets (optional)
- 250 g chicken breast, thinly sliced
- 250 g blue grapes, halved and pitted
- 100 g shelled walnuts, toasted
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
Place in a pan with 1 liter of water 1 tablespoon lemon juice to a boil. Place the celeriac strips 1 minute in boiling water and leave them to drain well in a colander.
In a mixing bowl, combine yogurt, mayonnaise, lemon zest, the remaining lemon juice and salt and pepper to make dressing.
Toss the celeriac and apple through. Let the salad at least 30 minutes come to taste.
Divide the lettuce on a platter. Toss the celeriac salad in the center and place the slices of chicken breast on top. Garnish the salad with grapes and walnuts.